Since 2004, Gamma Graphics Services has provided non-destructive testing (NDT) services to assess the condition of insulated industrial piping. We use unique technology that enables us to find corrosion, erosion and blockage. Additionally, we can determine pipe fill levels and locate welds and fittings. All of this can be done on both insulated and bare pipe.
Industries that benefit from our services include:
- Ammonia Refrigeration
- Fire Suppression and Water Distribution
- Pulp and Paper
and pretty much any other industry that uses industrial piping.
There are many reasons pipe inspection services may be needed, for example:
- In petrochemical, positive material identification (PMI) programs begin by locating all the welds in the system
- In refrigeration, process safety management (PSM) regulations require regular mechanical integrity (MI) testing as part of comprehensive compliance programs
- In mining, processes may involve erosive materials and routine testing prevents unexpected pipe failure
Traditional NDT techniques do not do a good job of solving pipe inspection problems. They either require destruction of the insulation, or they require too much time to be productive. While other NDT techniques suffer from significant limitations, we use a technique known as radiometric profiling. The tool that provides radiometric profiling is LIXI’s Profiler. The Profiler uses radioactive energies that detect changes in thickness as they pass through your insulation and pipes.
Radiometric profiling can identify the following indications:
- Pipe wall loss – internal and external
- Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI)
- Wet insulation and icing
- Blockage and verification of empty lines
- Locate welds in preparation for PMI
- Changes in pipe size / schedule that may not be on drawings
Some of the advantages of the Profiler:
- Fast – Inspect up to 200 locations per day, compared to 20-50 locations by ultrasonic or radiography methods
- Safe – Low exposure rates, no need to rope off the area around the inspection site
- Thorough – Scans through the insulation (no need for cutting or removal) and scans everything within the beam: insulation, both sides of the pipe AND anything inside the pipe
The proprietary software of the Profiler provides a graphical representation of the condition of the pipe that provides real-time feedback during scanning. If a problem area is detected, prove-up scans can be performed immediately.
Whatever the industry, whatever the need, Gamma Graphics is ready to help you with your pipe inspection project. While the Profiler is the best overall tool for pipe inspection, we have 40+ years of experience using other, more conventional, NDT techniques such as ultrasound, magnetic particle and radiography.
Take a look at the NDT comparison chart to see why radiometric profiling is the best!